General Music 2nd Grade
Course Description: This class is part of a 7 year sequence (K-6) of music instruction designed to teach effective musical skills to children. It is structured so that their experience with music is a knowledgeable one with heightened capabilities to listen, sing, play, move to, write, and create music with a sense of joy and well-being as individuals and as secure participants and contributors to the group experience. This class focuses predominately on the development of musical skills through vocal music experiences, classroom instruments and the use of technology.
Course Objectives: 2nd grade general music students that take this course should be able to:
- Perform folk tunes, rhymes and singing games primarily based on a pentatonic scale between Bb below middle C and the C above middle C.
- Recognize, read and perform steady beat activities to include quarter and eighth notes and rest.
- Sing know songs inside head while doing the beat and/or rhythm of the song.
- Learn songs, chants, rhythmic and melodic echoes by rote, memorize and performed independently.
- Improvise melodies and rhythms from texts such as "hello," names, colors, etc.
- Sing and perform in multiple parts use echo games, dialogue songs, alternate singing, singing with beat, rhythm and ostinato alternately and simultaneously.
- Perform with movement and pictures to learn left-right orientation, longer-shorter (note values) and high-low (pitch difference identification) with words or neutral syllables.
- Listen to music from a variety of sources in the context of recognition.
- Perform and identify songs using correct phrasing, inner hearing, rhythms, melodies and dynamics.
- Move to the music in singing games, rhythm activities, simple dances and musical conducting.
Second grade students are playing xylophones during their music class. These instruments were introduced during the first marking period with proper playing techniques, setup and storage procedures, and work on basic theory to play the instrument. Then in the second marking period, the students are applying their knowledge by playing music on the xylophones preparing for their performance in the spring.
Look Up Sign Language Words on the Website: http://www.signingsavvy.com/ Signing Savvy is a sign language dictionary containing several thousand high resolution videos of American Sign Language (ASL) signs, fingerspelled words, and other common signs used within the United States and Canada.